The ANSO Scholarship for International Students 2021 Call for Applications to Study at UCAS
The Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO) is a non-profit, non-governmental international organization founded in 2018. Founding members include 37 scientific institutions, universities, and international organizations worldwide. ANSO aims to improve regional and global capacity in science and technology, human livelihoods and wellbeing, and to promote broader S&T cooperation and communication.
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) was formally launched in 2019 with the goal of training and cultivation of young scientists from all over the world. This program supports 145 Master’s students and 190 PhD students every year to pursue postgraduate education at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS).
II. Scholarship Coverage and Duration
1. Tuition fee
PhD students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year.
Master students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year.
2. Application fee
Students would be exempted from application processing fee of RMB 600.
3. Monthly stipend
PhD awardees will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 6,000 or RMB 7,000 depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged, of which RMB 1,000 is provided by the CAS Institute.
Master awardees will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 3,000 (of which RMB 1,000 is provided by the CAS Institute) and also a monthly accommodation subsidy of RMB 1,000 provided by UCAS.
4. Travel subsidy
A certain amount of travel subsidy from their home countries to China will be provided to the awardees in order to begin the scholarship in China. Any scholarship awardee on site in China, the host country, at the time of application will NOT be eligible for any travel subsidy.
5. Medical Insurance;
The insurance premium is RMB 800/year. Please refer to the www.lxbx.net for the introduction of insurance coverage.
III. Duration (with NO EXTENSION)
Master students: no longer than 36 months
PhD students: no longer than 48 months
Awardees are required to finish centralized training in Chinese language, Chinese culture and all required credits as well as practical research and completion of degree thesis at the colleges and schools of UCAS or CAS institutes.
Any master’s awardee who fails annual assessments will face the consequence including:
* Termination of his/her scholarship;
* Discontinuity of his/her master’s study.
* Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal master’s degree.
Any PhD awardee who fails the qualification test or annual assessment will face the consequences including:
* Termination of his/her scholarship;
* Discontinuity of his/her doctoral study;
* Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
IV. General conditions for applicants
* Not hold Chinese citizenship;
* For PhD program applicants: be born after 1 January 1986 (inclusive);
* For master program applicants: be born after 1 January 1991 (inclusive);
* Meet the admission criteria for UCAS international students (please refer to the calls for 2021 Programs for international students);
* Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
* Applicants currently pursuing master degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for the master program of this scholarship. Applicants currently pursuing PhD degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship.
* Applicants CANNOT apply through UCAS and other universities simultaneously. Applicants can ONLY apply to ONE supervisor from ONE institute/school.
* Because the education system in some countries is different from that in China,, please see the UCAS website for the degree requirements of applicants (click the link).
V. Application Guideline and Deadline
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA.
You should verify that you meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call, find an eligible professor of your interest that agrees to accept you. See here for a list of eligible schools/institutes and supervisors of UCAS. Send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the Master/PhD program of the ANSO Scholarship. Your supervisor should finish the required procedure illustrated in the email automatically sent to him/her by the UCAS system immediately after your application materials pass the preliminary review by the institute/college with which the supervisor is affiliated
2. FILE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AND ADMISSION APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEMS.
Please log in the Online Admission System for International Students at UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) and follow its instructions to finish all the required application procedures. For the required materials, please refer to the calls for PhD programs and master programs (click the link).
3. Application Deadline
31 March 2021 (Beijing Time)
VI. Additional Information
* Awardees must register at the time and place indicated in the Admission Notice. Otherwise, they should apply for extension of their registration.
* The duration of the scholarship stated explicitly in the Admission Notice.
* Registered awardees must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the universities, and attend reviews and examinations, such as the qualifying tests on time. Awardees who fail review or examination will be deprived of their scholarship or their scholarship will be suspended.
* Any work produced and published by the awardees during the funding period of the scholarship must be credited to the institute/school and the university where the awardees are enrolled. Awardees are also required to acknowledge “Sponsored by ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents”.
VII. Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. ZOU Ting
Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Add: 818 Beijing Road, Urumqi, Xinjiang, China 830011
Tel: +86 991-7885476
VIII. Relevant information
ANSO (Alliance of International Science Organizations) is a non-profit and non-governmental international scientific organization founded in 2018 by 37 international science and education institutions from around the world. ANSO came into being under the principles of “Extensive Consultation, Joint Contribution and Shared Benefits” championed by the Belt and Road Initiative. ANSO is committed to promoting shared sustainable development and the advancement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through catalyzing and implementing concrete international cooperative initiatives in Science, Technology, Innovation and Capacity Building (STIC). It is envisaged that ANSO will focus on the most urgent regional and global challenges through STIC. This focus includes supporting scientific capacity building and the needs, particularly of the Global South, through partnerships and cooperation with the member countries and institutions. ANSO will also promote collaborations across the scientific and technological communities of the world to ensure that the benefits of the BRI are widely shared. There will be open access to scientific facilities and information among participants in ANSO. The grooming and empowerment of young scientists will be a particular focus of ANSO. The ANSO Scholarship is one of the main approaches to achieve this goal.
Read more about ANSO: http://www.anso.org.cn
CAS is a national academic institution in China consisting of a comprehensive research and development network, a merit-based learned society and a system of higher education, focusing on natural sciences, technological sciences and high-tech innovation in China. It has 12 branches, 2 universities and more than 100 institutes with around 60,000 staff and 50,000 postgraduate students. It hosts 89 national key labs, 172 CAS key labs, 30 national engineering research centers and about 1,000 field stations throughout China. As a merit-based society, it has five academic divisions. CAS is dedicated to addressing fundamental, strategic and farsighted challenges related to the overall and long-term development of China. CAS is the leading and founding member of ANSO.
Read more about CAS: http://english.cas.cn/
UCAS, formerly named Graduate School of CAS, was the first graduate school in China. In 2014, UCAS started enrolling undergraduate students, and since then an intact higher educational system has been established. Being the largest graduate education institution in China, UCAS has over 50,000 ongoing students, and more than half of them are doctoral students. With strong support from CAS institutes all over China, UCAS espouses the philosophy of "The Fusion of Scientific Research and Teaching" as its basic system of education. The disciplines represented at UCAS include all fields of science and 90% engineering. According to the Global University Ranking by Essential Science Indicator (ESI) in September 2019, UCAS ranked No. 1 in China and No. 82 worldwide. As a member of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), UCAS has established close ties with over 100 world-renowned universities. Based on CAS overseas institutions, UCAS is building overseas joint centers for education and research to promote capacity building on B&R. UCAS is responsible for the enrollment and management of the master’s and doctoral candidates of the ANSO Scholarship Program admitted by UCAS.
Read more about UCAS: http://english.ucas.ac.cn/