Call for 2021 Doctoral Programs for International Students
The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international students through over 20 UCAS faculties and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). See here for detailed information about UCAS faculties and CAS institutes.
Doctoral programs commonly last for 3-4 years. Certificates of graduation and degrees will be awarded to those who have met the requirements of graduation and degree conferment.
2. General Conditions for Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens.
(2) Be in good health, of good character, and willing to abide by China's laws and decrees, as well as UCAS’s rules and regulations.
(3) Holding a Master’s degree or its equivalent.
As some countries’ higher education systems are very different from the Chinese system, applicants from different education systems should see Attachment 1 for reference.
(4) English proficiency is required.
3. Application Time
● Program for 2021 fall semester: Please submit online application during December 1st, 2020–May 31st, 2021. For those who apply to UCAS for scholarship, please submit the above admission application documents along with scholarship application form before March 31st, 2020.
● Program for 2022 spring semester: Please submit online application during June 1st, 2021–November 30th, 2021.
4. Application Guideline
(1) CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should verify that you meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call, find an eligible professor of your interest that agrees to accept you. See here for a list of eligible schools/institutes and supervisors of UCAS. Send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the doctoral students program of UCAS. Your supervisor should finish the required procedure illustrated in the email automatically sent to him/her by the UCAS system immediately after your application materials pass the preliminary review by the institute/college with which the supervisor is affiliated.
(2) FINISH YOUR ONLINE ADMISSION APPLICATION TO UCAS, AND CHOOSE “THE PHD PROGRAM”.
File your application via the online application system of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be launched around December 1st, 2020 and follow the instructions. It is better that you prepare supporting documentation in advance, including but not limited to:
● Copy of your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity;
● Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
● Original copy of the certificate of university degrees held
● TWO reference letters:
The referees shall be familiar with you and your work, NOT to be your host supervisor. The letters should be signed, dated on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address of the referees. Reference letters in the body of e-mails will NOT be accepted!
● Detailed research proposal;
● Photocopies of title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers (if available);
● Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
● Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Attachment 2)
● Certificate of financial support
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support; b. are applying to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from guarantors and a bank statement; c. are applying for UCAS Partial Scholarship to get tuition waiver, please complete its online application procedure.
● Bank Receipt of Application Processing Fee
● All the above supporting documentation must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.
● Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested.
● Applicants having just completed or about to complete their highest degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating their expected
graduation date. They are required to present the required documents, including the original degree certificates, original transcripts AND original regular passport to the International Students Office of UCAS via their host institute upon the registration.
● Application with incomplete documents, lack of some required documents or wrong personal information will not be processed.
● The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor.
● Please choose major, host supervisor and host institute cautiously before submission. After enrolment at UCAS, applications for the change of these items are seldom considered.
● Please DO NOT send any hardcopy of application materials directly to the International Students Office of UCAS. None of the application documents will be returned.
● Chinese Government Scholarship, and UCAS Partial Scholarship for International Doctoral Students do not request for application processing fee.
● Processing fee is non-refundable in any case.
● Please prepare your application carefully. Submissions are seldom returned to you for modifications.
5. Evaluation and Admission
UCAS enrols international students based on evaluation of application documents together with a further matriculation examination. The admission committee of the applicable UCAS schools/CAS institutes will review the application documents and select applicants for further examination.
The examination will take the form of one of the following methods: ①Interview Exemption; ②Personal Interview; ③Interview plus written test. If an interview is required for admission, relative UCAS schools/CAS institutes will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment and provide information about the interview process.
Admission is determined at UCAS school/CAS institute level with oversight by UCAS according to the result of the document review, the interview, and other factors. Admission Notices, Visa Application Forms and some other documents will be sent to the admitted students after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check their admission status via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (here)
6. Visa Application and Registration
The admitted student should take his personal passport that is used for admission application, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application.
The admitted student should register at the place indicated in the Admission Notice, and should register on the assigned date. Otherwise, they should get the university approval in advance.
7. Fees and Scholarships
7.1 Application Processing Fee, Tuition, and Expenses:
(1) Application processing fee: RMB 600 (Non-refundable);
Liberal Arts: RMB 34,000/year;
All Other Disciplines: RMB 40,000/year;
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance premium:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Accommodation (shared rooms) fee: RMB 900/month for one student;
(5) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme of insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other costs of experiments, meetings and trainings beyond the program curriculum are at the student’s own expense.
1.Currencies other than RMB, USD and EUR are unacceptable.
2.UCAS bank account information:
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfangguangchang Branch
3.Please specify the purpose of the remittance and the student’s name, nationality and passport number.
4.Due to the limitation of dormitory capacity, those who fail to make reservation need to find the accommodation off campus by themselves.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship sponsor international students to study at Chinese universities. The scholarship offers fee waivers of admission application and tuition, health insurance, on-campus accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and application procedure.
UCAS is one of the Chinese Government Scholarship universities. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council with recommendation from related national official departments and Embassies or Consulates of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship application usually starts in November and ends in the following April, but please be noted of deadline variations for different countries. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
Applicants may submit application via UCAS (see here for detailed information and application procedure). But this is only for a small number of excellent international students who are not currently studying in China.
● ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents
The program offers full scholarship for international students from all over the world to pursue graduate education at UCAS. It provides tuition and application processing fee waivers and living allowance, health insurance and international travel subsidy. Please refer to here for detailed information and application procedure.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
The program offers full scholarship and partial scholarship for international students to pursue graduate education at UCAS. Full scholarship provides tuition fee waiver, health insurance and living allowance. Partial scholarship commonly provides tuition fee waiver and health insurance. Please refer to here for detailed information and application procedure.
8. Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. ZOU Ting
Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Add: 818 Beijing Road, Urumqi, Xinjiang, China 830011
Tel: +86 991-7885476